Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Authority

I read Watchmen by Alan Moore, and it was rather interesting, but not a favorite. Watchmen in which many people know the idea behind the title "Who will watch the Watchmen", but not everyone has read this acclaimed novel. As the title suggests it is a graphic novel that deals with the idea of who exists to watch the superheroes if they go out of control. And really, part of my problem with reading this novel is that when a hero goes out of control you get a villain. I don't subscribe to the idea of the anti-hero like many people. I believe in absolutes and as such I think that the hero is the character who performs more good than he does evil. 

In the end of this novel the whole idea of what Watchmen is really trying to convey wraps together. It's really about psychological conflict, about Nihilism and about the Jungian shadow. Many psychological theories I do not subscribe to but find useful to use as discussion points. Because I do not believe that the world is all full of darkness and evil when you strip it down as Watchmen appears to portray. I believe that there is much evil in life but that there is also hope and light for anyone to see. 


The comic "Authority" is a superhero themed comic filled with action of good and evil. When reading the two volumes, the class was asked a question about the comic. Which was, "are there any prominent symbolism the story and if so, what are they, and how are they used?" When reading the volumes I really did not look for symbols, so when going back to look it over again I really did not see many. A big symbol is good and evil, how their is this group of all sorts of heroes trying to keep all the universes from being taken over by this evil group that wants to turn, well at least one I know of, into a rape camp. I do not know if this was a symbol or not, when examining the clothing on both parties I notice they both consisted of a circle in some way. How the evil man had a circle, but with three dots breaking it up, kinda reminds me of how they are trying to break this peaceful state that society is in a cycle of. Though, then the superheroes had a circle on their clothing, but also a triangle. I do not know what that really could stand for honestly, because later on in the second volume Jenny Sparks has a new outfit on. Also another symbol I saw was Apollo and the Midnighter and how they are dark and light, or more what I see as ying and yang. Because they are a pair, always together, and when Apollo used all his energy and was drained, Midnight was very worried and held him, but they are different from each other. The guy is like his other half, a brother, or lover if you will.
 Next question we were asked to answer was " What connections did you make with the story, and discuss the elements of the work with which you were able to connect?" It is kinda hard to connect with a story based on superheroes, since I have no super powers. Though my connection is kinda with my dad. How I wanted to go to an art college and I had to keep fighting and fighting him to let me carry on my dreams. So in a way its like how the authority league is fighting evil to keep their place of peace that they dream of. Another connection would be to Apollo and Midnighter, because it kinda reminds me of my best friend lena and me. How I am more like midnight the dark kinda rebel one and she is like the pure and innocent one, how me and her are ying and yang, different, but need each other.
"What changes would you make to adapt this story into another medium, what medium would you use, and what changes would you make?" I think the only other medium I could see this comic in would be and animation or a film. It kinda has that face pace action that I think would show very will with face pacing shot scenes. Some changes thought would be more detail in areas, it seems to me that the comic jumps a lot around and the quickly to where I am sometimes lost. I would kinda have more of flashbacks of the main characters to understand who they are and how they got there. I was really confused on everyone when reading this comic, I did not know what they did really until they were thrown into and action shot and I had to really look at it to know what they did. Sure they say like oh Apollo "the sun guy", but that is a very vague description of the man. I would though keep the idea of how the characters designs are present the way they are and the use of opec colors is eye catching.

No comments:

Post a Comment