Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Web Comics

The comic Johnny the Homicidal Maniac felt like something a read before. Johnny is a criminally insane, introverted young man on a killing spree, his victims being those who taunt and make fun of him, all to feed the red wall with their blood. Driven by the voices in his head projected on to dead bunny, and two styrofoam pigs, he struggles with his madness and the fact that no matter what atrocities he commits, he is never caught.The illustrations in this book are styled much like Jhonen Vasquez's other creation, Invader Zim, which was a huge selling point for me as I love that show. I love the plot of this book, it's not just a bunch of murderous comic strips with a deranged character. The murders mean something, Johnny's struggles and insanity have a point, and the story progresses at a nice pace. It was easy to follow and I had no trouble getting back into the story after setting it down for a while. 

Reading chapter one of The Meek was a rather interesting read. I liked the intro panel where the little creature is slowly moving to the fruit to eat and then bam, there is a chase that takes place. It was a nice surprise action that took place, how they developed this by having a very calm scene ruined by an action. Then reading more of the chapter I was really confused why the girl, Angora, is naked and have green hair during the comic. I think it is not necessary to have her naked, but maybe their is a important reason why she is down the line, but my preference to that is a no. The green hair kinda made sense when we find out she can use nature to fight, so green hair makes her more earthy looking. Another shocker to me was what the grandfather looked like, I thought it was going to be this old wise man, but it was more of a whimsical creature. Got me thinking that maybe Angora is not from earth or maybe not apart of the human life, but I don't know never got to the end. The humor is kinda funny, but not really a comedic comic. 

The art style of meek is one word, awesome. I liked the color choices and how they used highlights and shadows in a simple way that doesn't over do the style choice. It is defiantly more cartoon style then a realist one. Even though the artist keeps things simple, their is detail in some ares, just played down a little. Like for example they show the map and you understand its a map, but it doesn't have every little thing shown, but enough detail to know what they are talking about. The artist also accomplished great facial expressions on the characters, in which it brought them to life. They also added to their personality and you know more about their character through them and also their choices. 
When branching out to find a web comic of my choice I skimmed through a couple and found one called Sandra and Woo. It a comic based on a a girl named Sandra and her adventures with her pet raccoon Woo, its not a serious comic. 

http://www.sandraandwoo.com/2000/01/01/welcome-to-sandra-and-woo/ 

The comic is more like comic strips, very short and to the point. I like that because its refreshing not to read a book about one comic. The humor in this comic is spot on, I chuckled so many times on the jokes. The raccoon is my favorite character on his actions he does. Their is one comic I found that leads more into a story on how Sandra and Raccoon met. Still cute and funny like the strips. I like the style of the art its simple and black and white. Background is not really a big part in this comic and I kinda like it, it focused more on the characters and actions of them and it brought them alive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment