Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Contemporary Literature Comics

Asterios Polyp by David Mazzucchelli, was more amazing to look at then to read in my view. I love the use of colors in the piece, like the bright blues, purples, yellow, and pinks, but also use those colors muted as well. Anything with color is more interesting to me then just black and white. A lot of white space is used in the artwork. He almost uses it to frame out the characters and objects that identify the background. Kinda makes the art have a abstract or geometric work. He uses different styles throughout the comic, their is some minimalist work and then some sketchy aspects. Even though he introduces different styles throughout it all seems to work still as being one. They story is about a professor named Asterios Polyp who taught at Cornell University, but leaves after being hit by lighting in his apartment. He moves to Apogee to become a mechanic. Then the story starts to show his past about his childhood with his still born twin, then into his bad marriage, and continues on into dreams. I think it was a very interested story and never really read anything like it. I would recommend everyone to try it and read it. I have been told by my friends that they love reading it over and over again, so it seems timeless.

Bone by Jeffery Smith is a childhood favorite of mine. This comic brings back memories of me just sitting on the couch, flipping through the pages as fast I can so I do not get caught by my mom to start my homework. I read the color version which I though was the only version of the comic, I never knew it was in black and white first. I am glad they made a color version because it just added so much to the art and brought the story to life even more.Jeff Smith wonderfully takes three cartoon characters and puts them in a land of mystery and adventure, taking the reader from amusing, comedic anecdotes to an epic war for the fate of the world! While the Bone cousins are surely simplistically drawn, Smith develops their characters to a level of richness that blends them naturally with the detailed, flourishing environment that perhaps visually contrasts their appearance. Coming of age, loss of innocence, faith, love, and truth which are all major themes of this story. It is a must read for anyone that enjoys comics or just a great story with playful characters. 

In class we looked at some comics in more of a book form. I really enjoyed looking at Ice Haven and the one that came in a box with many different ways presented (I did not remember the name, sorry!).

No comments:

Post a Comment