Tuesday, April 19, 2016

This One Summer

Jillian Tamaki wrote a comic called "This One Summer" which I thought was an interesting read. I felt more like a average television show you would find on abc family or something rather then a comic to me. I guess I thought this because when I think of comics I think of either humor or action in a comic, not a everyday girls day. I liked it though, it was different then a lot of what we read in this class. It shows how a young girl deals with her parents slowly separating, spending the summer with her best friend, and crushing on an older guy that might of got a girl pregnant. It is really relatable with me because of how the parents are always fighting, so I felt more attach to this comic more then something like "Archie." I liked the drawing style as well, how they drew each character with clean lines. How she really drew the clothing with pattern and the background with detail to really understand where the character is and the time. My favorite scene that she illustrated was the one with rose just chilling in her bedroom on the bed reading a magazine. Just the detail in the rug, the objects on the floor, and how she translated the blanket folding but with simple lines. Also another panel I loved when her friend Windy is dancing and she did not break each move in a different panel but rather on the same panel, with a figures moving a sequential order. It brought humor and movement in that moment. Most of the book was in black and white, but I also saw some blue ink used. I really enjoy the simple color use as well, I think it benefits in this way more then it would if it was in color. The overall character shows how the younger mind of a girl works, bringing a little bit of innocence to the comic.

In class we talked about how women comic book artist have a distinct area that classifies their work all together. I do not really think that women artist should all be classified in a subject together. Different artist bring different things to the comic world. In the comic I read done by a woman artist I see of only a woman being able to achieve it, but only because of the concept of the comic. It would not make sense of a man writing about a young girl and her love interest in a older man. I mean he could, but the perspective coming from a woman that went through possible is way better. Just because woman are way more emotional and can bring that to art in a famine way.

No comments:

Post a Comment