Thursday, April 21, 2016

Osamu Tezuka Buddha and More

I read some volumes and discussed Buddha, a manga by Osamu Tezuka, with my brother. I could not find all the volumes of this manga series and knowing my brother he read them all. He gave me a quick summary of what I was not able to find. We also talked about the characters and how the religion buddhism is represented throughout the series. How they include Siddharta, which is the main character of the Buddha series and prince of the Shaka tribe. I do think he is a big part of the Buddhism, but do not quote me on that. Though if true it is very interesting how they included actual things from the religion of Buddhism in it. Sadly though he is only introduced half way in the first book , and then his mom dies, wow what a great child hood. The art style in the comic series is really minimalist in some ares but then he is able to add detail in which it does not off set things. I love how he plays with the panels shapes in different scenes. I uses more odd shapes that add movement and action during action scenes. I love the arrangement of panels on the page becomes different on ever other page. How some go down from one another, others horizontal in rows, full pages of one panel, and some thrown in different ares for different types of scenes based on the mood. I think the use of only being black and white is good, but how the covers of the books have a pop of color leaves me questioning if the comic would look maybe even better in color. Though overall I love his art style and especially his compositions in action scenes. 
Overall, Tezuka's liberal adaptation of the Buddha story is both riveting and kitschy in its use of 80s lingo and Manga humor and silliness. In the end, Tezuka's ability to tell a fast-paced, well-oiled tale outshines is astonishing. I would recommend someone to give it a look.

I watched the Scott Pilgrim vs. the World movie years ago and it was real love.Therefore, it’s probably completely understandable that I absolutely loved this book. It was fan-tastic! And obviously while they were making the movie, they paid huge attention to detail, because even though I had forgotten some moments and scenes, it was so easy to re-imagine everything in color and with the actual actors, simply because every scene was executed precisely as it was drawn.The story is obviously hilariously awesome, all of the characters are such weirdos, it is so good. I loved the dry humor and the sarcastic remarks to a degree in which I felt like all of the characters are my soulmates at one point or another.To be honest, out of all of them, Scott is not my favourite by far. However that might be part of the point. As well as having the readers love Ramona. Because that I did. She’s so cool. I totally feel like a Ramona sometimes, she’s the relatable hipster girl we were or tried to be in high school. Though I do not approve of her choice of boyfriends.I am now really looking forward to reading the other parts of the series, big recommendation of the comics and the movie.


Another comic I read was Mushishi by Yuki Urushibara. The first volume of Mushishi is just wonderful. While it's sublime pace might not be for anyone, it collects five stand-alone stories which detail the interaction between humans and different kinds of Mushi. The tone of each story varies quite wildly, from the uplifting "The Green Gathering" to the truly disturbing "The Pillow Path".
While the trade doesn't really have an overarching plot, it does serve to introduce the concept of Mushi, as well as the reoccurring characters of Ginko and Adashino. The world-building characters the unmistakable overtones of Japanese mythology and the art is truly stunning throughout.

No comments:

Post a Comment